Saturday 15 March 2008

One to Ones

This month, I would like to write about the people I do consultations for and how they react to the information I give them. The fascinating thing about my work is that I never know who I am going to be doing a consultation for, or what kind of spirit people I will be talking to on any given day. It could be someone’s mum or dad, a sibling, a grandparent, a lover, friend or even a pet. It might be all of them … you would be surprised.

Every person comes with a story, both in this life and the next. Sometimes that story is detailed, sometimes it is not.  From my point of view, I always want to give the best information I can - to touch the hearts I am working for and to bring happiness, and in many case some closure, to their grief. To date, the majority of my clients have been female, but more and more men are now finding it acceptable to see a medium. 

When I first began doing one-to-one sittings I read for a man who wanted a tarot reading, as this focuses on the individual and not the spirit world. The guy was an ex-marine who was extremely sceptical. I started the reading by giving him information about his current situation in life; where he was headed and what decisions he was having to consider. He jokingly agreed with everything I said and just put it down to lucky guesses.

This reading was meant to be purely about him - what we call a psychic reading. He was not open to hearing from the spirit world, as he did not believe in life after death. During the reading I became aware of the name Mary, so I asked if that was his mother’s name. He said that he did not know anyone by that name. At this point I was losing confidence and feeling very agitated, as all I heard in my head was ‘Mary, Mary’.

He then looked at me, smiling, and said the only person he knew who ever got called Mary was his brother - his dad used to call him this as a joke because he had long hair. As he told me this I was aware of a man behind me and I felt different - bigger, older and very sick. I must have looked it too, as the man I was reading for asked me what was going on. I just said: “I have had your dad here. He has lung cancer and was just like you - a man’s man.” I also gave him the name of his father, at which point he was as white as a ghost. He replied: “That’s my dad, what’s he doing here? It can’t be, he’s dead.”

I continued to tell him about his dad, including many details of his life. My client got very emotional and then stated to feel embarrassed, so I concluded the reading.  He just said: “Thank you … I think”, and left.

I bumped into him shortly after and he dismissed it all, claiming that it was all a load of ‘mumbo jumbo’. I didn’t mind, as I know that his dad managed to pass on his love and best wishes to his family. I then saw him again some time later and a lot of what I had told him about his life had actually happened. He just said: “I try not to think about it as it freaks me out.”

Everyone reacts differently to a personal consultation. Some say very little at the end, some cry, some laugh. Some go away very happy, whilst with others I am left guessing … until, perhaps, they book again a year later. People from all walks of life come to see me and I love the diversity to be found in their personalities and lives. They say that you should never judge a book by its cover … and this really does apply to the work I do. 

First published in The Xpat magazine - Spain 

www.thexpat.com

No comments: